The University of Florida’s Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences (UF/IFAS) Extension in Lake County is hosting a guided bus tour of Lake County’s farms and agricultural attractions during the 9th Annual Lake County Farm Tour, sponsored by the Farm Bureau of Lake County.
The event is open to the public and will be held from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 16. Participants will embark from the Lake County Extension Center, located at 1951 Woodlea Road in Tavares. The Farm Tour costs $45 and includes lunch. Pre-registration is required, and is available at www.2018lakecountyfarmtour.eventbrite.com.
Participants will learn about local vegetable and turf grass production, agritourism, the nursery industry, horses and advanced research conducted by the University of Florida.
Stops on this year’s Farm Tour include:
• Long and Scott Farms, a commercial vegetable farm and agritourism destination in Mount Dora best known for its corn maze. Details: www.longandscottfarms.com
• Peri Lee Training LLC, an Arabian horse farm in Sorrento that is home to nationally acclaimed show horses. Details: www.wilsontrainingcenter.com
• Lake Jem Farms, a turf grass business in Mount Dora that is using cutting edge science to produce sod for Central Florida homes and businesses. Details: www.lakejemfarms.com
• UF/IFAS Mid-Florida Research and Education Center in Apopka, one of the University of Florida’s Agricultural Research Stations, where scientists are working to improve the efficiency and sustainability of farms. Details: https://mrec.ifas.ufl.edu
• AG3, a tissue culture and liner source nursery which grows cloned plants in Eustis. Details: http://www.ag3inc.com
Closed-toe shoes and long pants are required for safety purposes. For more information, call 352-343-4101.
The mission of the UF/IFAS Extension in Lake County is to develop knowledge in agricultural, human and natural resources and to make that knowledge accessible to sustain and enhance the quality of human life. The Extension service provides free consultations, as well as educational programs on a variety of subjects.